The purpose of the IUPUI University Library is to serve primarily the needs of IUPUI students, faculty, and staff, and secondarily to serve the needs of visitors. We reserves the right to request that users produce a valid form of identification in areas that are reserved for students, faculty, and staff.
All users are advised that the use of space and seating, including the use of cafes, restrooms, tables, chairs & sofas, and computers within the IUPUI University Library facility shall be confined to the purpose(s) for which the space and property are designed and equipped for which they are suitable. In an effort to ensure a pleasant, productive, and reasonable environment for all, users shall observe the following rules, including but not limited to:
- Users are prohibited from engaging in disruptive behavior or other behavior and activities that substantially interfere with the enjoyment of other users of the facility.
- Excessive sleeping and camping in the IUPUI University Library are prohibited. For purposes of this policy, “camping” includes:
- sleeping for an extended period of time (not including incidental napping), lying down and sleeping on a couch, bench, floor or other surface, with or without one’s belongings
- Excessive use of seating or space that interferes with priority usage for students, faculty, or staff
- Using the bathrooms for bathing, showering or for more than casual grooming
- Use of bedrolls, blankets and other such covering; storing personal belongings; carrying on cooking activities; and other similar behavior that amounts to using the seating or space as a temporary shelter or living quarters. Whether a given use constitutes “camping” will be determined based on the facts and circumstances of specific situations.
Individuals who violate this policy will be asked to promptly comply or leave the premises. Failure to comply with a request to leave the IUPUI University Library and/or University property may subject such individuals to arrest and criminal prosecution under provisions of applicable state, county, and city laws. In the case of students, faculty, and staff who violate this policy, IUPUI reserves the right to pursue disciplinary action in accordance with applicable rules, including without limitation the Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities and Conduct, employment policies, and the Academic Handbook.