500 Festival Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
The 500 Festival archival collection is held by the organization in Indianapolis. This digitized collection was created to share the 500 Festival events and traditions with the community.The online collection includes photos and documents from past and present 500 Festival events and programs.
Al-Mutanabbi Street Starts Here Coalition Supported by Herron Art Library
This collection supports and promotes awareness to the important mission and framework of the Al-Mutanabbi Street Starts Here Coalition’s focus on the lasting power of the written word and the arts in support of the free expression of ideas, the preservation of shared cultural spaces, and the importance of responding to attacks, both overt and subtle, on artists, writers, and academics working under oppressive regimes or in zones of conflict despite the destruction of that literary/cultural content – and despite the destruction of that literary/cultural content….
Allison Transmission Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
Founded in 1915 by James A. Allison, Allison Transmission is headquartered in Indianapolis with additional manufacturing facilities in Hungary and India. The Allison Transmission archival collection is held by the company at its global headquarters in Indianapolis. This digitized collection was created to share Allison heritage with the community in celebration of the company’s centennial in 2015.
American Turner Topics Supported by Special Collections
The American Turner Topics, published since 1936, is the newsletter of the American Turners. The Turner movement, begun in Germany in 1811, stresses physical fitness and German culture. German immigrants brought the movement to the United States in the 1840s and in 1850 established a national Turner association that is today known as the American Turners. The newsletter contains reports on the activities of the national organization and of individual Turner societies, obituaries of Turner members, and articles about Turner history and philosophy.
American Turners Image Collection Supported by Special Collections
The American Turners is a national German-American organization founded in 1850 by German immigrants. The American Turners advocated a liberal political philosophy, protected the political rights of German-Americans, and promoted the preservation of German culture. Strong believers in physical fitness, the American Turners lobbied to have physical education made a part of the educational curriculum in public schools.
Archive of Muslim American History and Life Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
In collaboration with the IU School of Liberal Arts at IUPUI, this digital archive collects and preserves documents related to Muslim American history from the colonial era to the present. It includes memoirs, newspapers, books, reports, speeches and other documents that reveal the place of Muslims in American social, political, religious, cultural, and economic life.
Athenaeum Damenverein & Women's Auxiliary Records, 1876-2007 (Digital) Supported by Special Collections
In 1893 members of the Indianapolis German-American community living on the south side of Indianapolis broke away from the Indianapolis Socialer Turnverein to form the Indianapolis South Side Turners. This organization stressed physical fitness and the preservation of German culture and was a social and cultural center for German-Americans in the southern part of the city. In 1900 the South Side Turners built their hall, equipped with a gymnasium and meeting rooms, at 306 Prospect Street. The group sold the building in 1977 and today is based in German Park on South Meridian Street.
Athenaeum Turners Records, 1880-2002 (Digital) Supported by Special Collections
The Athenaeum Turners is a German-American organization founded in 1851 as the Indianapolis Turngemeinde. Its original emphasis was on promoting physical fitness and intellectual development, advancing the political interests of German-Americans, and preserving German culture. The Athenaeum, the Turners' home since its opening in 1893, served as a gathering place for the Indianapolis German-American community, and members of the Athenaeum Turners were prominent leaders in the political, business, educational, and cultural life of the city.
Birds of Indiana (Amos W. Butler: 1892) Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
This Web edition of the 1892 publication The Birds of Indiana is a hypertext version of the original book by Amos W. Butler. No supplemental aids, indexes, or material were added to it except for the addition of the search function. This digital version was published in itself to supplement the digitization of a 1984 publication, The Birds of Indiana by Russell E. Mumford, Charles E. Keller, William E. Zimmerman (IU Press). Ironically enough, in the same way The Birds of Indiana (1984) was inspired by Butler's Birds, so was the digitization of this project reciprocally inspired.
Birds of Indiana (Mumford, Keller, Zimmerman: 1984) Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
The creation of The Birds of Indiana Web edition was funded by a grant from the Library Fund of the Indianapolis Foundation. Special thanks for their continuing support goes to Indiana University Press and John Gallman, the Director. The Birds of Indiana is reproduced in this electronic edition by special arrangements with Indiana University Press for distribution in Marion County, Indiana. Orders for this book may be placed by calling Indiana University Press: 1-800-842-6796. NOTICE: Access to this Web site is limited to locations in Marion County, Indianapolis, Indiana, and to persons who are registered users of the Indianapolis Public Library. Such locations may include, without limitation, the following: all schools, public libraries, college and university campuses located within Marion County, Indiana.
Blanket, The Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
The Blanket, 2001-2008, was an online magazine based in Belfast that critically analyzed the Irish peace process. The Blanket existed as a commitment to freedom of speech. Its purpose was to facilitate analysis, debate and discussion, to resist censorship, and to create the space for a diversity of views.
British Studies Intelligencer Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
The newsletter of the North American Conference on British Studies, the British Studies Intelligencer was published twice annually at the University of Arizona at Tucson. It included information on forthcoming meetings, summaries of regional and national meetings, and additional announcements and news in British studies. This archive covers 1962-2001.
Bulletin of the Santayana Society Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
The Santayana Society is an international and interdisciplinary organization, founded in 1980, to further work on The Santayana Edition specifically and to promote Santayana scholarship generally. George Santayana was Spanish born philosopher, poet, critic, and best-selling novelist.
Camp Chesterfield Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
The Hett Art Gallery and Museum at historic Camp Chesterfield in Anderson, IN houses 127 years of historical documents and photographs related to the movement and religion of Spiritualism, as well as primary documents and artifacts dating back over a century to the original formation of the Indiana Association of Spiritualists (IAOS) in its museum archives.
Chris Gonzalez GLBT Archive Collection Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
In partnership with the Chris Gonzalez Library & Archives and with support from the IUPUI University Library Faculty Digitization Grant, this digital collection provides a unique glimpse into the early, organized GLBT community in a mid-sized, Midwestern city. Presently the collection includes digital versions of, The Screamer from 1966-67 and The Works, later renamed, The New Works News, “Indiana’s gay news magazine for gay men and women,” from 1982-1989.
Civil War: Governor Morton Telegraph Books and Slips Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
During the American Civil War (1861-1865), Indiana Governor Oliver P.Morton's staff recorded thousands of the governor's incoming andoutgoing telegrams in small, bound books. The governor and his staffcommunicated by telegraph with the highest and most prominentgovernment and military leaders in the North, including PresidentAbraham Lincoln and Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton. Researchers willfind many uses of these messages. Historians studying politics andmilitary planning at the highest levels of federal and state governmentduring the Civil War will find many important communications. Personsstudying the organization and actions of Indiana volunteer regimentsand batteries will gain useful insights. Biographers, local historians,and genealogists will all learn much from consulting these records.
Climate Data: Indianapolis, IN 1940-present Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
In collaboration with the Indianapolis Public Library, IUPUI University Library digitized a collection of Local Climate Data dating from 1940 to present. The data is recorded from the Indianapolis International Airport (NOAA) and is now available via the web. Also available are several weather related newspaper articles ranging from 1936-1971. Additionally, you can view a dynamic weather calendar to view precipitation and temperature dating back to the late 1800s.
Columbus Indiana Architectural Archives Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
The Columbus Indiana Architectural Archives was created to collect, conserve, preserve, and promote the use of records that document the architecture, engineering, and arts associated with the built environment of Columbus, Indiana and Bartholomew County. The archives' collection includes materials on both Historical and Modernist projects, including many of the 60 plus designs by world famous architects of the last half century that are located in Bartholomew County.
Conner Prairie Historic Clothing Collection Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
Clothing is often a little studied area of American history, but what people wore, how it was made and who made it can offer important insights into a nation's social history. Though clothes do not the man make, they can tell you much about the men, women and children who wore them, and about the society in which they lived. Conner Prairie, an Interactive History Park located in Fishers, Indiana, holds a valuable and substantial collection of historic clothing and accessories. Heretofore, the fragile condition of many of the garments has limited their access to the public. Now, thanks to the partnership of IUPUI University Library and Conner Prairie, these objects may be seen and studied the world over.
Conner Prairie Historical Almanac Collection Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
Almanacs, with their calendars, weather forecasts and astronomical information, were often coveted possessions in early American households. Indeed, one 19th-century historian claimed that almanacs and bibles "were the two books most likely to be found in Christian" homes. Though now lost to history one of the very first books thought to be printed in North America was an almanac published in Boston 1639.
Conner Prairie Rural History Project Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
The Conner Prairie Rural History Project (2001-2003) was an effort to capture the fast disappearing rural landscape and heritage of Hamilton County, Indiana. Funded by the Legacy Fund of Hamilton County, the project conducted over 125 oral histories with farmers, business leaders, and local citizens who shared their memories of the county’s rural past. In addition, diaries, letters and photos documenting that heritage were collected and digitized for posterity.
Conner Prairie Traditional Crafts: Preservation and Reproduction Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
The preservation and continuation of traditional crafts and their skills are important to American culture. The Conner Prairie craft collection is usually limited to museum guests, scholars, and other specialized researchers. By digitizing the collection and making it widely accessible o the internet these historic artifacts and the important story they tell will be available to a mass audience, including teachers and students. This collection consists of Conner Prairie traditional crafts featuring pottery, armsmaking, and blacksmithing.
Conner Prairie Transferware Collection Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
Transferware was an 18th-century English innovation in ceramic decoration in which copper-plate engravings were "transferred" to items via a "tissue." No longer was it necessary to laboriously hand-decorate ceramics like tableware, basins or tiles. This early form of mass production was an immediate success and demand grew over the early nineteenth century. Manufacturers like Spode and Wedgewood found eager markets for their deocorative, durable goods, particularly in the United States.
Crispus Attucks Museum Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
Crispus Attucks was Indianapolis' first segregated high school built for African-Americans in 1927. It was named after Crispus Attucks, a black man who was the first American to die in the Boston Massacre in 1770, a precursor to the American Revolutionary War. In 1986, the school converted from a high school to junior high school. This digital collection captures the history of the high school through its yearbooks (1928-1986), newspapers, and graduation programs. Special thanks to the Crispus Attucks Museum and its Board of Advisors for permission to digitize their valuable collection of historical documents. Special thanks to the Crispus Attucks Museum and its Board of Advisors for permission to digitize their valuable collection of historical documents.WANTED: Missing Crispus Attucks High School Yearbooks YEARS: 1930, 1980 Please help IUPUI University Library complete the Digital Crispus Attucks Yearbooks collection. Contact Information : IN-ULIB-DigitalCollectionsSummit@exchange.iu.edu
eArchives Supported by Special Collections
eArchives is an open access repository designed to store, preserve and provide access to the digital materials collected by the IUPUI University Library's Ruth Lilly Special Collections and Archives. The two main areas of emphasis are:IUPUI University eArchives documenting the publications and resources of this urban universityPhilanthropy eArchives documenting the scholarship and publications of the nonprofit sector.
Flanner House (Indianapolis, Ind.) Records, 1936-1992 (Digital) Supported by Special Collections
The Indiana Historical Society (IHS) and Indiana University/Purdue University at Indianapolis (IUPUI) collaborated to establish this digital project pertaining to Flanner House. The approximately 5,000 digitized objects consist of photographic, manuscript, artifact, and printed images from the IHS and IUPUI Flanner House collections and several items related to Flanner House from various collections at the two repositories.
FOLIO (FOundation LIterature Online) Supported by Special Collections
FOLIO (FOundation LIterature Online) is an online digital repository of foundation-sponsored research reports and publications covering the full scope of philanthropic activity. FOLIO, a project of the Foundation Center and the IUPUI University Library’s Ruth Lilly Special Collections and Archives, preserves and makes accessible material indexed in the Foundation Center’s PubHub .
Hackelmeier Memorial Library, Marian University Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
Marian University is a small academic institution in Indianapolis, Indiana. Though its status as University is still in its infancy, it has much history as a college when it was officially founded in 1937. The archives at Hackelmeier Memorial Library contain within its collection a wealth of information representing the growth of the institution, so it has been a priority of the library to find a way to both preserve and promote that content. One source of such content is a faculty-supervised, student run publication called The Phoenix (spanning the years 1937-1981).
Hamilton County History Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
Originally entitled Hamilton County in 1900: Through a Young Person's Lens, this collection includes the photographs of Earl Brooks (1883-1968), who acquired a camera as a young man and took pictures between approximately 1897 and 1904 of friends, teachers, the countryside and events in central Indiana, California, Kentucky and Ohio. Photographs of the Hamilton County Township Schools taken between 1892 and 1909 are also included. At the turn of the century, County School Superintendent Ellis A. Hutchens announced his wish to have a photograph taken of every Hamilton County school and here are 68 of those photographs. Also included is the Inter-State Directory Company's directory of Noblesville and Hamilton County Gazetteer for the years 1907-1908, a countywide residential and business directory. These projects were made possible by a joint project between the Hamilton County Historical Society and the Hamilton East Public Library.
Herron Fine Press and Book Arts Collection Supported by Herron Art Library
Artists' books include books that are entirely handmade or mass-produced. The key distinction is that artists' books are made or designed by artists with the intention of the book being the art object, as a means to share with others. There are variations on this concept, with some artists more focused on the content of the book, while others make the form and material of the book their art.Artists' books include books that are entirely handmade or mass-produced. The key distinction is that artists' books are made or designed by artists with the intention of the book being the art object, as a means to share with others. There are variations on this concept, with some artists more focused on the content of the book, while others make the form and material of the book their art.Artists' books include books that are entirely handmade or mass-produced. The key distinction is that artists' books are made or designed by artists with the intention of the book being the art object, as a means to share with others. There are variations on this concept, with some artists more focused on the content of the book, while others make the form and material of the book their art.
Historic Indiana Atlases Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
The resources in this collection are historical atlases of various Indiana counties including Hamilton, Henry, Madison and Putnam. These books not only provide maps of Hoosier areas dating from 1875 to 1901, but also provide rich historical details of the central Indiana region. Within this collection there are narrative histories, biographical information about Indiana pioneers, detailed illustrations of people and places, statistical tables, and much more. Historians and hobbyists alike should find this collection both information rich and entertaining.
Historic Indiana Maps Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
Maps are often beautiful illustrations of our history, the human-environmental interaction, and natural features of our state and its communities. Maps record settlement patterns, political boundaries, transportation routes, and land ownership. Maps contain invaluable information for historians, genealogists, and citizens. The resources in this collection are historical maps of Indiana, its counties and cities, from the collections at Indiana University. Efforts were made to represent various areas of our state, but selection was based on G. K. Hall and Co.'s Checklist of Printed Maps of the Middle West to 1900 Volume 3 covering the state of Indiana.
Historic Indiana Plat Books Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
The Plat Books of Indiana Counties are historic guides to the communities of Indiana, showing townships, roads and section numbers. These geographic resources were originally created by Sidwell Studio and W. W. Hixson & Co. between approximately 1925 and 1941. Only approximate dates are available as the publisher neglected to date the books. The original books are owned by and scanned in collaboration with the Indiana State Library through a grant from the Library Fund of Indianapolis Foundation, an affiliate of the Central Indiana Community Foundation.
Illustrators of the Golden West Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
The Illustrators of the Golden West collection consists of ninety-one paintings and drawings by nineteen important western illustrators plus 968 books, Western pulp fiction magazines, and catalogs, published between 1890 and 1998, in which their illustrations were reproduced. The book collection consists mostly of Western American novels, published between 1890 and 1987, with some classic novels as well.
IMLS National Leadership Grant Community Project Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
The Indianapolis Museum of Art Community Project presented an opportunity for Central Indiana area K-12 public and private schools, public libraries, museums, and other cultural organizations to participate in a unique library/museum collaboration. Funded by a National Leadership Grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS), the Community Project offered audiences access to digital art related resources for use in educational programs and activities. The Indianapolis Museum of Art (IMA) joined IUPUI University Library as the main supporting partner on the Community Project. The purpose of the IMA is to enrich the lives of members of the community through visual arts.
Indiana Artists Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
Collection of Indiana artists and exhibitions dating from 1883 - collection includes exhibition checklists, exhibition catalogs, and other related exhibition ephemera obtained/scanned from HAL, IUB Fine Arts Library, Indiana State Library, ISH, IMA, The Frick...Exhibition venues include John Herron Art Institute, The Art Association of Indianapolis, the Hoosier Salon, and the T.C. Steele Home - a very useful place for finding information on artists, artists works, and artists' exhibitions held in Indianapolis .
Indiana Historic Architecture Slide Collection Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
A Library Services Technology Grant allowed IUPUI to begin digitization of Indiana Landmarks' slide collection, now making it available to the public. The collection contains images from the early 1960s through present day and captures historic architecture throughout the state. Educators will find the collection useful in documenting architectural styles and Indiana history. Old house enthusiasts will find ideas for paint colors, restoration techniques, and inspiration.
Indiana Historic Sites and Structures Inventory Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
Every year since 1978 Indiana Landmarks has surveyed from two to four counties, looking for architecturally and historically significant structures and districts. Field surveyors drive every road in the county, identifying, documenting, and photographing historic sites and structures. IUPUI University Library has partnered with the Indiana Landmarks to make out-of-print reports available to the public via the web.
Indiana Landmarks Wilbur D. Peat Supported by Herron Art Library
Wilbur Peat served as director of the John Herron Art Museum in Indianapolis from 1929-1965. During that time he authored Indiana Houses of the Nineteenth Century, a seminal work on residential architectural styles. Indiana Landmarks holds much of Peat’s architectural collection. Among the items is a set of articles by Agnes McCulloch Hanna who wrote a column on Indiana architecture for the Indianapolis Star and Indianapolis News. Contained within the collection are copies of Hanna’s articles from 1928-1952.
Indiana Medical History Museum - Wishard Scrapbook Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
University Library collaborated with the Indiana Medical History Museum to make this scrapbook, which Dr. William Niles Wishard was heavily involved in the creation of, available in digital format. This treasure, like many of the artifacts on display at the Indiana Medical History Museum, is a window into the history of medicine in Indiana and an introduction to some of the past prominent figures in the Indianapolis Medical Society.
Indiana Muster, Pay and Receipt Rolls, War of 1812 Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
This collection consists of Muster, pay and receipt rolls of Indiana territory volunteers or militia of the period of the War of 1812. They are in the form of four oversized bound volumes of photostats made by Leet Brothers Co. in 1926 from information in the U.S. Adjutant General's Office. The four physical volumes digitized here reside in the collection of the Genealogy Division, Indiana State Library. An index was created by Genealogy Division staff and bound into Volume 1.
Indiana Preservationist Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
Since 1971, Indiana Landmarks' member magazine Indiana Preservationist has provided information about historic Hoosier places, architectural styles, preservation issues, threats to landmarks and efforts to save and preserve our state’s heritage. Members of Indiana Landmarks receive the bi-monthly magazine as a benefit of membership. The collection contains the full text of articles from 1971 to recent years.
Indiana School for the Deaf Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
Rich in heritage and always striving to meet the challenges of the 21st Century, The Indiana School for the Deaf has developed into one of the leading deaf schools in the nation. Its success is captured in the publications that have been digitized through funding by the Indianapolis Foundation Library Fund. 204 volumes with 18,000 pages of publications include school newsletters, senior numbers and yearbooks.
Indianapolis City Directory Collection Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
City directories contain a wealth of information for genealogists, researchers, and everyday history enthusiasts. These books tell a great deal about our past by including the names and information about residents as well as businesses in Indianapolis through the years. Inside you'll find addresses and occupations of householders, complete business directories, and much more. This collection consists of 14 Indianapolis city directories ranging from 1858-1980.
Indianapolis History Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
This collection includes a variety of Indianapolis related primary (with limited secondary) resources (photographs and text) dating from late 19th to mid 20th centuries.Example resources include:Indianapolis Power & Light Co. Distribution System Photograph collection, monographs on the history of Indiana such as, The Hoosiers published in 1916, several issue of the Free Soil Banner, and various published and unpublished city of Indianapolis scrapbooks.
Indianapolis Maennerchor Records, 1866-1990 (Digital) Supported by Special Collections
The Indianapolis Maennerchor (men's choir), established in 1854 by German immigrants, is one of the oldest continuously active singing societies in the United States. The Maennerchor was an important organization in the early cultural life of Indianapolis, sponsoring musical events of national importance and bringing prominent singers and musicians to the city.
Indianapolis Motor Speedway Collection Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
The Indianapolis Motor Speedway boasts an enormous photographic collection with over 4 million negatives in its collection. Together, IUPUI University Library and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway will digitize and create metadata for 6,000 negatives for the collection. By providing online access to this collection, users will have the opportunity to view and search the collection that would otherwise have to be viewed by coming to the Speedway.
Indianapolis Neighborhood Resource Center Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
The Indianapolis Neighborhood Resource Center (INRC) is a private nonprofit organization that offers training, technical assistance, and coaching to help grassroots neighborhood-based organizations throughout Marion County address issues that impact the quality of life in their neighborhoods. The resources provided by INRC helps to strengthen, develop, and empower neighborhoods.
Indianapolis News Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
The Indianapolis News began publication on December 7th 1869. For 130 years it was the oldest Indianapolis newspaper and held the largest circulation in the State of Indiana. IUPUI University Library received funding from the Library Fund, a fund of the Indianapolis Foundation, to digitize the Indianapolis News from 1869-1922.
Indianapolis Recorder Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
What began as a two-page church bulletin by co-founders George Pheldon Stewart and William H. Porter, the Indianapolis Recorder is now one of the top African-American publications in the nation. Established in 1897, the Indianapolis Recorder focused on local people and events in Indianapolis but also reported national events. IUPUI University is pleased to present the Indianapolis Recorder Digital Collection. Providing access to the 1899-2005 run of the Indianapolis Recorder will have an impact on researchers from all walks of life. Whether you are a family historian, an academic researcher or part of the media, this collection will help you search for and access historically important stories of African-Americans individuals, organizations, and events in Indianapolis, Indiana in the 20th and 21st centuries.
Indianapolis Sanborn Map and Baist Atlas Collection Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
This collection consists of several large-scale color maps from the late 19th and early to mid-20th centuries, depicting the commercial, industrial, and residential sections of Indianapolis, Indiana. These maps were originally produced for insurance underwriters, who used them to determine risks and establish premiums. Today they are used by scholars and researchers in such fields as history, urban geography, architectural history and preservation, ethnic studies, and urban archaeology.
Indianapolis South Side Turners Records, 1893-1956 (Digital) Supported by Special Collections
In 1893 members of the Indianapolis German-American community living on the south side of Indianapolis broke away from the Indianapolis Socialer Turnverein to form the Indianapolis South Side Turners. This organization stressed physical fitness and the preservation of German culture and was a social and cultural center for German-Americans in the southern part of the city. In 1900 the South Side Turners built their hall, equipped with a gymnasium and meeting rooms, at 306 Prospect Street. The group sold the building in 1977 and today is based in German Park on South Meridian Street. These photographs are part of the Indianapolis South Side Turners Records held by the IUPUI University Library Ruth Lilly Special Collections and Archives.
Inland Steel Company Image Collection Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
Inland Steel Company, founded in 1893 in Chicago, arrived first in northwest Indiana, establishing its Indiana Harbor Works in 1901 in East Chicago, Indiana. A very large and important source of historical information about the local steel industry is the Inland Steel Company Photograph Collection housed in the Calumet Regional Archives at Indiana University Northwest. Inland Steel created a visual materials collection comprising over one million images, including prints, negatives, slides and transparencies. Select images from this huge collection are presented here for use by students, scholars, and the general public.
Irish People Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
The IRISH PEOPLE was a weekly newspaper which served as the "Voice of Irish Republicanism in America." Published by volunteers who supported an Irish Republican political analysis,the paper provided weekly reports and analysis of events in Ireland related to the struggle against British rule. It also served as a contemporary weekly record and organizer of Irish-American political activity in the United States during a crucial epoch. Those who wish to study historic events in Ireland and how such events were seen and influenced by Americas will find it an indispensable resource.
IUPUI University Library Atrium Sculpture Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
IUPUI University Library and the Fischler Society sponsor an annual award to one Herron School of Art and Design student for the design, construction, installation, and removal of artwork for the IUPUI University Library Atrium. Under the guidance of sculpture faculty, the student selected for this annual award is responsible for creating and installing their piece built to scale, reaching from the second to the fourth floor levels of the atrium.
James Whitcomb Riley Collection Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
This digital collection celebrates the works of James Whitcomb Riley and is a valuable resource for students, teachers, and researchers in Indiana, throughout the country, and beyond. Livin' the life of Riley provides access to manuscripts, personal letters, photographs, early edition books, and artifacts that represent the Hoosier Poet. This is a collaborative effort between the Hancock Public Library, the Riley Old Home Society, the James Whitcomb Riley Museum Home, and IUPUI University Library and was made possible by an LSTA grant.
Jessie Groves Collection, 1915-1977 (Digital) Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
In 1915 Jessie Groves arrived in Indianapolis at the age of 21 to take a position as the Night Supervisor at Long Hospital on the campus of the fledgling Indiana University School of Medicine. She spent the rest of her nursing career at the IU Medical Center, retiring in the 1950s as the Operating Room Supervisor for both Long and Riley Hospitals. The collection consists mainly of candid photographs taken by Jessie over the course of her four decades at the Medical Center and an oral history completed when she was 83 years old looking back on her career.
Keystone View Company Lantern Slides Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
The Keystone View Company was the largest stereographic company in the world, specializing in national and international geographic and social science images. The 488 slides in this digital collection include images from the Americas, Europe, Asia, Africa, and Australia. They depict scenes from agricultural, industrial, commercial, urban, rural, transportation, nature, historical and daily life situation. Images date from the 1890s through the early twentieth century.
Kiwanis International Records, 1914-2015 (Digital) Supported by Special Collections
Records of a global organization of volunteers with a mission of "changing the world one child and one community at a time."
National FFA Organization Records, 1916-2008 (Digital) Supported by Special Collections
The Archives of the National FFA Organization contains photographs and slides documenting the activities of its members.
Neighborhood of Saturdays Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
“The Neighborhood of Saturdays” is a collaborative research project undertaken by the Department of Anthropology at IUPUI along with a number of community-based organizations, including the Concord Neighborhood Center, Etz Chaim Sephardic Congregation, the Southside Picnic Committee and the Babe Denny Neighborhood Organization. Through oral history interviews and archival research, students are reconstructing a portrait of this unique Indianapolis neighborhood, located on the near Southside, that was once home to a range of immigrant groups as well as to significant populations of African-Americans and Appalachians.
Neil Matthew Photographs, 1940-1983 (Digital) Supported by Special Collections
This collection is a photographic documentary of scenes and places from the perspective of Neil E. Matthew, a professor of the Herron School of Art at IUPUI. He was a painter first while an undergraduate at Arizona State University. He then studied photography under Henry Holmes Smith at Indiana University. His photography, as described by its creator, is "the painter as photographic tourist." It is straight representational photography of the landscape and buildings seen during his travels.
Open Access Journals at IUPUI Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
A robust journal management and publishing system, OJS assists with every stage of the refereed publishingprocess. It facilitates efforts to improve both the scholarly and public quality of refereed research byincreasing works' accessibility and lessening the time between research/writing and final publication. OJSis viable both for print journals looking for an online option/conversion or aspiring digital journals.
Park Tudor School Words of War Oral History Collection Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
The Park Tudor School Legacy Initiative, founded in 2001, connects talented high school students with families and war veterans across the United States in order to preserve documents and oral histories. The Initiative collects copies of unpublished wartime accounts, letters, diaries and photographs; conducts oral history interviews for the Library of Congress' Veterans History Project, and publishes volumes in its anthology series: Words of War: Wartime Memories. Since 2002, more than 480 oral-history interviews with veterans and civilians and corresponding transcripts have been completed.
Pioneer Painters of Indiana Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
The collection contains research materials for Peat’s book Pioneer Painters of Indiana, including notes and index cards on Indiana artists and collectors, article clippings, bibliographies, exhibition catalogs, photographs of artworks, and correspondence with art collectors, curators and artists’ families.
PRO: Philanthropy Resources Online Supported by Special Collections
PRO is a digital library of primary and secondary sources that supports teaching and learning about philanthropy and the nonprofit sector. Although providing access to the content of materials is our primary goal, the project also serves to preserve the ideas contained in rapidly deteriorating texts. The PRO collection is made up of images of the pages in the books, journals, and pamphlets. What you see is a scanned image of the actual pages of the original volume. Optical Character Recognition (OCR) has been performed on the images to enhance searching and accessing the texts.
Ransom Place Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
This collection consists of various pieces of material culture collected from anthropology professor Paul Mullins and his archaeology field school participants. The items have been recovered from various locations in and around the IUPUI campus, and depict an active and vibrant African-American community that once inhabited the area.
Road to Indiana Statehood Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
The Indiana Supreme Court and the Indiana Historical Bureau are collaborating on a major project to gather in one place copies of original documents and research materials relating to Indiana's constitutional history. The IUPUI University Library has digitized and organized the material to make it user-friendly and fully searchable, and serves as the host for this Web-based material.
Saoirse - Irish Freedom Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
Saoirse - Irish Freedom is the monthly newspaper of the Irish political party Republican Sinn Féin. The name is taken from "Irish Freedom - Saoirse", which was a Fenian paper of the early 1910s. IUPUI University Library has collaborated with the School of Liberal Arts to digitize older issues of the newspaper which were previously unavailable online.
Service through Sponge Cake Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
The digital collection of cookbooks is a collaborative effort between the University Library and the Indianapolis Public Library and will focus on Indiana cookbooks dating from the turn-of-the-century, with a special emphasis on fundraising cookbooks published by churches, synagogues and other community organizations. The University Library has created the community cookbook collection using unique materials from the Indianapolis Public Library's collection of historic Indiana cookbooks.
Sovereign Nation Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
The Sovereign Nation is the on-line and hard copy newspaper of the 32 County Sovereignty Movement, which was founded on December 7, 1997. The founders considered themselves a "Committee" of Provisional Sinn Fein, but after being expelled from that organization they formally organized themselves as the 32 County Sovereignty Movement. Their primary focus in the late 1990s and early 2000s was "to achieve broad unity amongst the Republican family on the single issue of Irish Sovereignty." Today, the 32 County Sovereignty Movement has broadened its focus and seeks to promote "the revolutionary ideals of Republicanism" and to resist "all forms of colonialism and imperialism". See 32csm.org for more information.
Sports Car Club of America Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
Dating back to its inception in 1944, Sports Car Club of America has served as the United States’ most diverse motorsports organization. With competition in its DNA, SCCA is pleased to partner with the IUPUI Library to capture some of its proud photographic history for future members, motorsports enthusiasts and historians.
Tiananmen Square, 1989 Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
On April 15, 1989, Hu Yaobang, the ousted General Secretary of the Chinese Communist Party, died in Beijing. Thousands of ordinary people went to Tiananmen Square to mourn for his death. The college students in universities in Beijing soon turned mourning into a grassroots movement that called for political reform. This event spread to many cities in China and abroad as well and lasted for more than a month. The event ended abruptly with government’s killing of hundreds of ordinary citizens on June 4. This collection photographically documents the events of this tumultuous time.
Umbrella Supported by Herron Art Library
Umbrella is an art journal that began publication by Judith Hoffberg in 1978. The journal covers news and reviews of artist books, mail art and contemporary art and photography tradebooks. It includes interviews with leading book artists, alternative spaces as well as Fluxus artists. The journal ended print-copy publication in 2005. Soon after ceasing hard-copy publication, permission was granted to the Herron Art Library of IUPUI University Library to digitize the 1978-2005 journal run and provide access over the World Wide Web.
Western Medicine in China, 1850-1950 Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
A collection of photographs from Rare Book and Manuscript Library of Columbia University related to western medicine in China from 1800-1950 including the establishment and activities of hospitals, medical schools and other institutions in medical care, education and public health campaigns.
Wildflowers of Indiana Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
Also a part of the Database Project funded by the Library Fund of the Indianapolis Foundation was to create Web resources of interest to the residents of Marion County that were not available from commercial providers. NOTICE: Access to this Web site is limited to locations in Marion County, Indianapolis, Indiana, and to persons who are registered users of the Indianapolis Public Library. Such locations may include, without limitation, the following: all schools, public libraries, college and university campuses located within Marion County, Indiana.
Womankind Supported by Center for Digital Scholarship
Running from 1977 to 1983, WOMANKIND was a local feminist newspaper, conceived by, and published for women. Many of the writers have IUPUI roots including founding, regular author and IUPUI English professor, Rebecca Pitts. The newspaper includes editorials, research, poetry, stories, ads, and reviews of local exhibitions.