Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society of North America, Indiana University Medical Center, Chapter 175 Records
0.4 c.f. (1 document box)
Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society of North America, Indiana University Medical Center, Chapter 175, established on January 27, 1961, as an honor society of scientists. The chapter holds annual meetings, sponsors lectures, and awards undergraduate and graduate students for excellence in research.
The records contain the Chapter’s constitutions and bylaws, meeting and committee minutes, membership applications, handbook, and manual, financial reports, meeting and lecture programs, and copies of the national newsletter, Sigma Xi Newsletter.
This collection is open to the public without restriction. The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material.
Cite as: Sigma Xi. The Scientific Research Society of North America. Indiana University Medical Center Chapter. Chapter 175, Ruth Lilly Special Collections and Archives, University Library, Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis.
Presented by Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society of North America, Indiana University Medical Center Chapter (via Dr. Joseph S. Ingraham), Indianapolis, Indiana, June 1996. A96-20.
Processed by Angenieta Biegel, M.D., September 1997.
Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Society, was established in 1886 nationally as an honor society of scientists. Its 120,000 members (1986) in North America and abroad belong to more than 500 chapters and clubs on university campuses and in government and industrial laboratories. Membership to Sigma Xi, made on member recommendation, recognizes research achievement and carries with it the opportunity to cooperate with other scientists in the activities of individual chapters and clubs.
The Indianapolis Chapter (initially Club) was established in 1961. Events such as the new Basic Science Building of the Indiana University Medical Center (IUMC) in Indianapolis being completed and occupied in 1958 and the departments of Anatomy and Physiology moving to Indianapolis from Bloomington in 1959, resulted in considerable expansion of the basic science research activity and the graduate programs on the IUPUI campus.
The initiative to establish a Club was taken by Dr. Bullard in 1959. Additional names and contributions were obtained by Drs. Ward Moore, Lois Aprison and William Summers. The Club was granted status in 1960, a board of Directors was elected and a lecture series was established. Early on cooperation was sought with the Butler University Club ( Indianapolis) in distributing meeting notices and in co-sponsorships for speakers.
In December 1960, 49 full members transferred from other Clubs or Chapters and five additional local members were announced to the National Sigma Xi organization and the Club was granted Charter on January 27, 1961.
The Chapter continued to support the scientific research community. In 1982, both undergraduate and graduate research competitions started and the graduate student reception became an annual event.
The Chapter is still active in 1997 with individuals from the Indiana University Medical Center and the Lilly Research Laboratories comprising the membership. It continues to hold annual meetings, sponsor lectures, and award undergraduate and graduate student prizes for excellence in research.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
The records of the Chapter are sporadic. With the early years, very few records are located and especially deficient is information about committee meetings, lectures, membership drives, board of directors and research activities.
The Administrative Files, 1961-1989, contain minutes of the executive and business meetings, constitution and bylaws, and membership applications, handbook, and manual, and financial reports. The minutes of the June 1965 meeting refer to plans for formal meetings, recommendation of students for membership, a student program, faculty recognition for teaching, research and the stimulation of student projects. Also a petition for upgrading to Chapter status is mentioned. Records from 1965 to 1982 are only sporadic. From 1982-1989, the minutes are fairly complete.
The Program Files, 1976-1988, contain meeting and program brochures, and correspondence dealing with the scientific competition awards.
|Constitution and Bylaws, 1961, 1969||1||1|
|Executive Committee and Annual Business meeting minutes 1961, 1966, 1983-1989||1||2|
|Manual of Procedure for Chapter and Club officers, 1985||1||3|
|Membership applications, forms, recruiting material||1||4|
|Membership handbook, 1986||1||5|
|Planning/Nominating/Admissions Committee 1965, 1982-1989||1||6|
|Financial reports, 1969, 1971, 1983-1988||1||7|
|Annual meetings, programs, speakers, lectures 1976, 1982-1989||1||8|
|Annual banquets including membership initiations, program booklets, 1979-1989||1||9|
|National Newsletter, 1983-1987||1||10|
|Scientific Competition files, 1983-1988||1||11|
|Sigma XI Centennial files, 1986||1||12|