- Find Articles & More
- Find Books & More
- Research a Topic
- Information Literacy
- Digital Scholarship
- About Us
- Library Hours
- Library Policies
The missions of both IUPUI University Library and the IUPUI campus necessitate the existence and support of a program of digital scholarship. In a rapidly changing information and scholarly communication environment, propelled by the research pursuits and scholarly interests of IUPUI's students, faculty, and community members, it is vital that University Library, University Library Librarians, and University Library Staff extend traditional library activities into the digital environment.
Defining Digital Scholarship 1
- Building a digital collection of information for further study and analysis
- Creating appropriate tools and services for collection-building
- Creating appropriate tools and services for the analysis and study of collections
- Using digital collections and analytical tools to generate new intellectual products
Digital Scholarship Selection Criteria 2
As a means of ensuring that this program of digital scholarship remains in accordance with the Mission of University Library and IUPUI the following criteria are to be used as an aid in evaluating whether projects will be a good return on investment, and to help in establishing a strong rationale when requesting support from internal or external sources. The criteria are designed to assess strengths and weaknesses and promote an analytical approach, but they do not have equal weight, and not all may be relevant to any given project.
- The project provides significant support for IUPUI research and instruction.
- There are faculty and library advocates for the project.
- The project's intrinsic value will ensure long-term use by a significant audience within and/or beyond the IUPUI community.
- The project can be completed with available funding, or has the potential to generate funding through grants, donors, or other external fund sources.
- The project will strengthen or enhance an existing IUPUI University Library resource or become part of an important virtual collection.
- IUPUI has intellectual property rights to the content and can manage any required restrictions to access, or can realistically solve any rights issues.
- The project falls within traditional areas of library service or moves our services in a direction consonant with the University Library's strategic directions.
- The project advances sustainable models for scholarly publishing.
- The project brings credit to the University Library in a manner likely to generate further digital scholarship projects and funding.
- The project has local or regional importance, and represents an effort only the University Library can initiate.
- The project is reasonable, practical, and achievable.
- The project saves money in the long term by eliminating the need to acquire resources, or by freeing up staff time.
- The project creates or sustains a partnership that the University Library will find valuable for future development.
- There is a compelling argument for digitizing material that is deteriorating.
- The project will expand our technical infrastructure or contribute to the development of national digital library standards.
It is with the following important Mission, Vision, and Value statements in mind that IUPUI University Library supports a program of digital scholarship.
University Library's mission in part states that we:
- Collect, organize, and assist in the use of the record of human understanding.
- Preserve the records of the past
- Help individuals inform themselves in the present
- Shape the information environment for the future
- Promote excellence in learning,
- Serve as a gateway for information,
- Create unique scholarly resources, and
- Enhance the availability of scholarly information for the residents of Indiana.
University Library's Vision, "To be the innovative leader among urban university libraries."
University Library's Values in part states that we value:
- Creativity and innovation
- Collaboration and teamwork
IUPUI's Mission in part states that we:
- Advance the State of Indiana and the intellectual growth of its citizens to the highest levels nationally and internationally through research and creative activity, teaching and learning, and civic engagement
- Promote educational, cultural, and economic development of central Indiana and beyond through innovative collaborations, external partnerships, and a strong commitment to diversity
IUPUI's Statement of Values states that we:
- Value the opportunities afforded by our location in Indiana's capital city and are committed to serving the needs of our community.
Approved by the University Library Management Team on July 31, 2008.
1 Adapted from, "What is Digital Scholarship?" by the American Council of Learned Societies Commission on Cyberinfrastructure for the Humanities & Social Sciences. Available at: http://cnx.org/content/m14163/latest/ [Accessed 11/25/2008]
2 Adapted from, "UCLS Library Criteria for Digital Projects" by UCLA Library, Digital Library Program. Available at: http://www2.library.ucla.edu/libraries/2639.cfm [Accessed 11/25/2008]
|Program of digital scholarship.pdf||274.38 KB|
Last updated by klpalmer on 12/02/2008
Last updated by jennajoh on 08/12/2009