June 9, 1970.
On this day, IUPUI held its first commencement exercises in the Coliseum on the grounds of the Indiana State Fairgrounds. It was a momentous occasion, the importance of which was appreciated by the editors of The Component, which catered to the students on IUPUI's 38th Street Campus, formerly the home of the Purdue University-Indianapolis Extension. The editors noted that graduates came from 87 of Indiana's 92 counties, from 35 states of the United States, and nine countries. They stressed that IUPUI's event was the "most comprehensive graduation ceremony on any of Indiana's state university campuses," with graduates from associate degrees to PhDs and professional degrees in medicine, law, nursing, dentistry, engineering, and more. They especially noted that 392 students of the more than 1500 graduates received Purdue University degrees.
To learn more about the 1970 IUPUI commencement ceremony, consult records in the IUPUI Special Collections and Archives. Email staff at email@example.com.