May 2, 2013.
On this day, IUPUI's Herron School of Art and Design held a ribbon-cutting ceremony to open officially the newly expanded Eskenazi Fine Arts Center, located at 1410 Indiana Avenue. The expansion occurred thanks to the generosity of Sidney and Lois Eskenazi and others, who together funded the $3.2 million construction. The enlarged and improved facility housed Herron's sculpture and ceramics programs.
Tours and exhibitions of student art works in both the Eskenazi Fine Arts Center and Eskenazi Hall (735 West New York Street) were the order of the day. Visitors also had an opportunity to purchase student works.
Herron's footprint in Indianapolis had long included a separate sculpture facility to accommodate large constructions by both faculty and students. When Herron was located on 16th and Pennsylvania Streets, the school maintained a nearby building on 16th Street to house sculpture work. In 1999 Herron opened its new sculpture and ceramics facility at what was then called 1350 Stadium Drive. The 2013 addition and renovation merited a new street address.
To learn more about the Herron School of Art and Design, please consult records in IUPUI Special Collections and Archives. Contact staff with your questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.