September 15, 1969
On this day, the IU School of Law-Indianapolis commenced its first full-time day program.
Indiana University's law school in Indianapolis grew out of mergers of several private law schools that had operated in the city since the nineteenth century. Many of the these schools catered to students who worked in downtown offices and city and state government; therefore, they offered classes in the evening. Indiana University merged with the private Indiana Law School in 1944 and operated what many called the "Indianapolis Law School" as an evening division of the IU School of Law in Bloomington.
In 1968, the Indianapolis division of the law school obtained its independence from the Bloomington law school and promptly planned to offer a full-time, daytime array of courses. It took two years of planning to finalize. To accommodate the daytime program, in 1970 the law school moved into a new building at Blackford and New York Streets (later vacated, renovated, and occupied now by the Herron School of Art and Design).
To learn more about the IU Robert H. McKinney School of Law, please contact IUPUI Special Collections and Archives email@example.com.