Special Collections Blog Posts

JULY 8, 1991 On this day, Purdue University-West Lafayette men’s basketball coach Gene Keady was a featured speaker at the “Youth and Coaches Basketball Clinic” held at IUPUI. The clinic sought to “merg[e] academic and athletic themes, helping high school basketball stars prepare themselves for the demands of being a college student-athlete.” Keady... Read More
July 7, 1969 On July 7, 1969, IUPUI announced the approval of a new four-year engineering program and a Bachelor of Science in Engineering degree set to begin in September on IUPUI's 38th Street Campus. Engineering courses had been available on Purdue University's Indianapolis-Extension campus since World War Two, but 1969 marked the first time a... Read More
July 6, 1993 On a hot summer day in 1993, over 500 volunteers helped transfer books from the old IUPUI Library-now Taylor Hall- into the current University Library building. After this initial book brigade finished their work, a professional moving company finished the task of moving all of the books, periodicals, and microforms from the old library,... Read More
July 5, 1973 On July 5, 1973, executive director of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) Roy Wilkins delivered the first annual Wendell L. Willkie Memorial Lecture in the IU School of Law-Indianapolis building on the IUPUI campus.  Willkie (1892-1944) was a 1916 graduate of IU School of Law in Bloomington. A... Read More
On the birthday of the United States of America, IUPUI Special Collections and Archives presents a photo of a bicentennial celebration in 1976 on the IUPUI campus. Pictured is former IUPUI chancellor Maynard K. Hine in powdered wig at the podium. Behind him to the left in the photo are IU president John W. Ryan and IUPUI chancellor Glenn W. Irwin. In the... Read More
July 4, 1991 IUPUI’s downtown location makes it a popular spot for viewing fireworks that light up the Indianapolis skyline during July 4 Independence Day festivities. Despite the hoards of people who fill the roofs of campus parking garages to watch downtown fireworks shows, campus policy bans the use of fireworks on any university property. On... Read More
July 3, 1974  U.S. Senator Vance Hartke announced a grant from the United States Department of Health, Education and Welfare to the Indiana University School of Medicine for $2,050,000 to increase the number of physicians practicing in Indiana. The grant was, in part, a response to a recurring nationwide physician shortage. Post-World-War-Two... Read More
July 2, 1982  For two days, the newly built IU Track and Field Stadium hosted more than two hundred athletes from the United States, the Soviet Union, and several countries in Africa (competing as an African all-star team) who competed in the Lite Games. The event was one of several meets between the US and Soviet track teams after the US had... Read More
July 1, 1971The merger in January 1969 of IU and Purdue operations in Indianapolis did not happen overnight. Nor was the blending of two different university bureaucracies easy. IUPUI’s first chancellor, Maynard K. Hine, and many university administrators toiled diligently to bring together the academic and office functions of the two universities. Months,... Read More
Ruth Lilly Special Collections and Archives would like to announce the completion of an LSTA digitization grant from the Indiana State Library entitled "The Evolution of German-American Culture in Indianapolis, 1866-2011." Germans were one of the largest immigrant groups in Indianapolis in the 19th century.  The German language and German culture... Read More

Visit the Ruth Lilly Special Collections & Archives

Hours:
Monday - Friday: 9:00AM - 5:00PM
Saturday & Sunday: Closed
Other hours by appointment
Exceptions to the Schedule
Location:
University Library 0133
755 West Michigan Street
Indianapolis, IN  46202
Call:
317-274-0464
Updated May 18, 2018 by brown314