Philanthropy Archives

This collection is currently being processed.  Please consult with Brenda Burk about research within this collection.

ABSTRACT

Last updated by bburk on 05/10/2013

Preliminary Inventory
A2009/10-029
Last updated by bburk on 05/23/2011

Mss 041
1.2 c.f. (1 carton and 1 document box) and 14 rolls of microfilm
[Printer-friendly version]

ABSTRACT

The National Society of Fund Raisers was organized in New York City in 1960 to serve as the professional association for fund raisers in America.  The organization changed its name to the National Society of Fund Raising Executives (NSFRE) in the mid-1970s, and at about the same time hired its first executive director.  In 1993 NSFRE had 15,903 individual members in 131 chapters, and maintained a national office in Alexandria, Virginia.  Its name was again changed January 1, 2001, to the Association of Fundraising Professionals.

Last updated by bburk on 08/19/2010

Last updated by lcalvert on 04/02/2014

Mss 54
25.0 c.f. (18 cartons, 2 document boxes, 9 flat boxes, 7 audio cassettes, 14 video cassettes)
[Printer-friendly version]

ABSTRACT

The Indiana FFA Association, formed in 1929, was the 19th state association chartered by the National FFA Organization, an agricultural education organization consisting of 52 chartered state associations including Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.  Each state association is governed by its own constitution approved by the National FFA Organization and is comprised of chapters within secondary schools throughout the state.  In 1968 the Indiana FFA Leadership Center was established in Trafalgar, Indiana, to house leadership activities, the State FFA Officers, and state staff.  By 2004, the Indiana FFA Association included 9,000 members in 188 chapters statewide.

ACCESS

Last updated by bburk on 07/15/2013

Mss 059
1.6 c.f (1 carton and 2 document boxes)
[Printer-friendly version]

ABSTRACT

The New Farmers of America (NFA) began as a national organization for African-American farm youth in 1935 to promote agricultural leadership, character, thrift, scholarship, cooperation, and citizenship.  This organization served its members for 30 years providing experience in leadership and education in the agricultural field.  Programs and contests designed for the organization awarded youth for achievement within the NFA and their community.  In 1965 the NFA merged with the National FFA Organization.  At the time of the merger, the NFA consisted of 1,004 chapters in 12 states and over 50,000 members.

ACCESS

Last updated by bburk on 10/22/2010

Guidelines

Interest in donation of materials

If you wish to discuss the donation of materials, please contact:

Todd Daniels-Howell 
IUPUI University Library 
Special Collections and Archives
755 West Michigan St.
Indianapolis, IN  46202 

Phone:  (317) 274-0466 
Email:  tjdaniel@iupui.edu

Transfer of Records

In order to ensure the orderly transfer of records to the Archives, the following documents are available for current donors:

Overview

The Philanthropy Archives is building a premier research collection to document the history of the philanthropic tradition.   The Archives is used by scholars, researchers, and practitioners studying the not-for-profit sector.  Through the research that the Archives makes possible, we hope to enhance our understanding not only of the not-for-profit sector and its practices, but of the role of philanthropy in society as well.  It includes the historical records of organizations and individuals that have worked as advocates for the nonprofit sector, fund raising firms that help nonprofit organizations raise money, foundations and individual philanthropists, and nonprofit organizations that provide social services, particularly in central Indiana. These collections also provide a wide scope of research materials dealing with social, historical, political, educational, and ethnic developments and changes in the United States during the twentieth century.

You have reached my playground!  Nothing much to see here!
Last updated by bburk on 04/08/2009

Welcome to the Archives of the Foundation Center Historical Foundation Collection

The Foundation Center was created in 1956 during a period of particularly intense public scrutiny of foundations. Its mission then and today is to collect and disseminate accurate information about foundation activity so as to hold foundations accountable to the public. The roughly 6000 foundations for which the Foundation Center collected information in 1956 had grown to over 68,000 annually.

Due to the creation and dissolution of hundreds of foundations each year, the Historical Foundation Collection contains information on approximately 100,000 foundations.

Last updated by lcalvert on 04/02/2014