Alice Fitzgerald served as the first director of the Indiana University Training School for Nurses from 1913 to 1914. During her year in Indianapolis, Fitzgerald literally built the Training School for Nurses. She designed the school's curriculum, hired its first faculty, ordered supplies for the training school and for Long Hospital, and oversaw the first class of five nursing students. In its early years, the nursing school was based in the newly opened Robert Long Hospital.
Return to Table of Contents
Return to Founding Mothers