CAN'T CONNECT?

History of the IUPUI Neighborhood: 1900-1919:

Brief View

Robert Long Hospital

Indiana University’s presence in the neighborhood began with the opening of Robert Long Hospital (shown above) in 1914 and the School of Medicine Building (now called Emerson Hall) in 1919. In the following years, Long Hospital would also be accompanied by the William H. Coleman Hospital for Women and The James Whitcomb Riley Hospital for Children, all serving as teaching hospitals for the Indiana University School of Medicine. The Medical Center had a great impact on the surrounding neighborhoods.It provided employment and health care for many neighborhood residents.

History of the IUPUI Neighborhood:

Pre-19001900-19191920's1930's1940's1950's1960's1970's1980'sToday
Last updated by lcalvert on 08/27/2010