CAN'T CONNECT?

History of the IUPUI Neighborhood: 1930's:

Brief View

 

Lockefield Gardens

 

Lockefield Gardens, located east of the IU Medical Center, was one of the first federally funded low income African-American public housing projects in the country.  Begun in 1934, the project removed 350 existing residences in the campus area and replaced them with 24 buildings containing 748 units. The complex also included retail space, playgrounds, and a public elementary school. Lockefield Gardens was considered one of the nation’s finest public housing projects at the time. More additions to the Medical Center complex followed the opening of Lockefield Gardens. In 1938 the Clinical Building opened north of Long Hospital and in 1939 the first State Board of Health Building, now called Fesler Hall, opened northwest of the Clinical Building. 

History of the IUPUI Neighborhood:

Pre-19001900-19191920's1930's1940's1950's1960's1970's1980'sToday
Last updated by andjsmit on 12/23/2010