Communications and Community Outreach:
The Library engages internal, campus, and community stakeholders through communication and outreach activities to advocate, educate, and promote the value of the Library.
- Library personnel will increase external funding of our research, programming, and innovative service activities.
- Library personnel will create and maintain a strategic communication plan directed towards both campus and external audiences.
- Library personnel acknowledge they have a role in the recruitment of future IUPUI students and incorporate recruitment strategies into their formal and informal work, particularly with K-12 community.
- Library personnel will deepen their portfolio of partnerships with campus and community constituencies through programming and intentional collaboration.
Data-Informed Decision Making:
The Library establishes a holistic program of systematic, ongoing assessment in order to better understand the needs of our users, support budgetary decision making, and envision the future of library resources, programs, and services. The library uses data to inform, not necessarily drive, decision making.
- The Library's program of assessment is aligned with the strategic priorities of the Library, campus, and university.
- Library personnel intentionally manage and steward data about our work to reduce barriers to use by library personnel.
- Library personnel gather qualitative and quantitative input from both external and internal stakeholders.
- Library personnel assess existing resources, programs, and services to inform resource allocation and improvement or continuation decisions.
- Assessment is built in to the development of new programs and services to enable rapid iteration and innovation.
- Library personnel share data analysis about our work to demonstrate our value to stakeholders and/or report on decision making.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
The Library is dedicated to: recognizing and addressing bias and structural inequalities, working towards equity of access to information for all individuals, and valuing the diversity of human experience. This dedication is purposefully embedded in our organizational culture, daily operations, structures, teaching methods, hiring and retention practices, collection development, and daily operations.
- Library personnel commit to creating an experience of belonging, inclusive of diverse perspectives, backgrounds, and abilities, for every individual through our physical space, online tools, and in teaching and service delivery.
- Library personnel are welcomed, through a consistent and personal onboarding process, into a work culture that values and recognizes their unique perspectives and abilities as improving the status quo.
- Library personnel participate in forward-thinking, inclusive, and equitable hiring, success-supporting, and retention practices. Our explicit goal is to increase the number of Library personnel from underrepresented groups.
- Library personnel foster a safe work environment by striving to recognize their own biases, holding one another accountable for mutually respectful behavior, and understanding their responsibility in the daily nurturing of an inclusive and diversity-affirming organization.
The Library provides services and resources for faculty success in teaching, research, and advancement.
- Library personnel collaborate with instructors to develop, implement, and make accessible course materials that follow pedagogical best practices.
- Library personnel collaborate with researchers to support the development, conduct, and dissemination of research.
- Library personnel support researchers in the responsible acquisition, management, sharing, and preservation of research data.
- Library personnel advocate for and facilitate the responsible use of metrics and other evidence in the evaluation of research and scholars.
- Library personnel collaborate with other campus units to create a strong community of support for all faculty.
Library personnel have the education and experience, as well as training and supervisory support, to both meet the demands of their current role and be prepared for organizational change.
- Library personnel invest time and resources to cultivate and promote an organizational climate of mutual respect, shared curiosity, collegiality, collaboration, learning, and celebration.
- Library personnel, including student employees, receive consistent and specific performance feedback and coaching.
- Library personnel staffing levels, assignments, structure, skills, training, and evaluation are aligned and directly reflective of the Library's vision, mission, and strategic priorities.
- Library personnel recognize their role in preserving the environment by observing sustainable business practices and making effective use of available resources.
Resources and Collections:
The Library creates and provides access to content that enhances IUPUI's institutional strengths and supports its teaching, learning, and research missions.
- Library personnel thoughtfully steward resources, utilizing data-informed purchasing models that sustain access to research resources needed today while also investing in the future of scholarly communication.
- Library personnel adopt acquisition and access practices that reduce information privilege and increase equitable access.
- Library personnel develop and support unique, diverse, and open collections related to the teaching, learning, and research priorities of IUPUI.
- Library personnel enhance awareness and use of our collections and services with current faculty, staff, and students through programming, messaging, and outreach.
- Library personnel ensure that the systems employed to describe, provide access to, and preserve collections are aligned with current information system best practices and/or innovations.
Scholarly Communication and Open Culture:
The Library adopts and promotes open tools and practices and engage in collaborative open efforts that result in an equitable scholarly communication environment.
- Library personnel make research available and discoverable to the broader community through open access publishing and the library’s institutional repository.
- Library personnel will enhance and increase scholarly communication outreach and instruction on campus.
- Library personnel develop and provide scholarly communication services to address researcher and instructor needs and to ensure ongoing access to scholarship and data.
- Library personnel prioritize the discoverability of open content created or supported by University Library.
- Library personnel support and participate in internal and external open initiatives in collaboration with other library, higher education, and community organizations.
The Library empowers students by giving them the tools they need to succeed through library services and resources, library employment, and education. University Library partners in the educational mission of IUPUI to develop and support information-literate learners who can discover, access, and use information effectively for academic success, research, and lifelong learning.
- The library contributes to student recruitment, retention, time to degree, and academic success.
- Library personnel collaborate with faculty from the first-year experience through graduate school to embed information literacy learning outcomes into curricula, courses, and assignments.
- Library personnel provide appropriate and timely instruction using pedagogical best practices, employing multiple learning platforms and recognizing diverse learning styles.
- Library student employees gain the education and experience to succeed in their positions, furthering the mission of the organization while developing transferable skills that also support academic and career success.
- Library personnel foster student collaboration and facilitate the expression of diverse voices in the classroom and informal learning situations.
The Library employs current technologies in innovative ways and adopts new technologies that both complement our strategic priorities and enhance the work of library users.
- Library personnel support active learning and research by providing access to hands-on, innovative technology experiences.
- The Library's web presence is accessible from a variety of devices and is useful, usable, and appealing to users.
- Library personnel maintain a culture of serving as an education and research technology implementation testbed for IU and IUPUI.
- Library personnel explore ways in which technology automates, augments, and enhances our internal processes and external services.
- Library personnel invest in the development and adoption of open source technologies and applications.
- Library personnel participate in industry best practices regarding technology related security and privacy.
User Experience and Customer Service:
The Library provides a cohesive, positive experience throughout their interactions with library personnel, resources, and spaces.
- Library personnel develops and strategically communicates a service philosophy statement that defines excellent library service.
- The Library's physical and digital space navigation includes a clear and consistent message and appearance.
- Library personnel provide point of need user service provision and employ effective transfer techniques when necessary.
- Library personnel incorporate analysis of user input, both solicited and not, to improve current, and develop new services.
- Library personnel acknowledge, and consider during service provision, a user's individual background and needs.