In October 2020, the NIH released an updated data policy that affects all extramural (and intramural) research funded in whole or part by the NIH. On January 25, 2023, the policy took effect for all new applications.
The new data policy requires the submission of a Data Management and Sharing (DMS) Plan at the time of submission, for all applications that generate scientific data. Once approved by the NIH, the DMS Plan will become a Term & Condition of the award and compliance may affect future funding decisions.
Key Resources from the NIH
- 2023 Policy Overview
- 2023 Policy FAQ (frequently updated)
- And much more information is available at sharing.nih.gov
The IU Research Data Management Plan Working Group has developed the following resources specifi to IU:
- Policy Overview
- IU Guidance for Developing an NIH DMS Plan
- Considerations for Sharing Research Data
- IU Fillable Form Plan Template (in Fireform)
University Library and the Ruth Lilly Medical Library partnered to develop a guide to support researchers in planning.