EZProxy BookmarkletWhen not on the IU Network or using a computer on campus, you can use the library website or the IUPUI EZProxy bookmarklet to check for a library subscription to specific content. Learn more about the EZProxy service.
Use the IUPUI EZProxy bookmarklet when you are on a website where there is a paywall and you are being asked to pay to access full text. After selecting the bookmarklet and logging in through IU Login, you will gain full text access if IUPUI has a subscription. But if IUPUI does not subscribe to the resource, the page will refresh without any changes or it may take you to an error page. Explore interlibrary loan services to get access to articles, books, and other items IUPUI does not have.
Bookmarklet InstallationThe bookmarklet needs to be added as a bookmark to your browser. Follow the installation steps below based on the browser you're using. Once added, the next time you find yourself being asked to purchase an article, select the bookmark in your browser's bookmark toolbar to see if IUPUI provides full text access. The video shows bookmarklet installation steps for Firefox and suggests best practices for accessing subscription based content.
- Right-click on the following link, then select "Copy Link Address": IUPUI Library EZProxy link.
- Go to "Bookmark Manager" under the Bookmarks menu.
- Navigate to the place you want to create this bookmark (the Bookmarks Bar, or elsewhere).
- Click the vertical three dot icon to the right of the Bookmark search box (normally on a blue background) and select "Add New Bookmark"
- Give the Bookmark a name (for example, "IUPUI EZProxy") and paste in the URL you copied in the first step in the URL field.
- Click "Save".
Drag this link to your Favorites toolbar: IUPUI Library EZProxy link
Note: In the latest versions of the Mac OS, the Favorites bar is hidden by default. If you do not see the Favorites bar just below the URL, above the web page content, go to the View menu in Safari and select "Show Favorites Bar."
Right-click on the following link, then select the "Bookmark This Link" option: IUPUI Library Proxy Bookmarklet
Right-click on this link: IUPUI Library Proxy Bookmarklet
Select the "Add to Favorites..." option. You may be warned that you are adding a link which may be unsafe. While some links like this may be unsafe, we believe this one is safe. You can click whichever option is required to continue.
Although Edge does not allow you to drag-and-drop a bookmarklet as do Chrome or Safari, if you have the bookmarklet in a different browser, you can import your bookmarks into Edge. You may need to delete duplicate or unwanted bookmarks after you have done so.
iPhone or iPad
- Tap the share icon (iOS action button) at the bottom center of the screen (iPhone, iPod Touch) or to the right of the location bar (iPad) and then tap Add Bookmark. Save the bookmark to your iPad or iPhone's Bookmarks folder (or wherever you would like it to be).
- Tap "Done".
- Open the browser of your choice. Create a new bookmark of any page, then tap Edit. Replace the name of the bookmark and replace the bookmarks link with the copied link from step #1.
Common Bookmarklet ErrorsThe bookmarklet will attempt to proxy any website, whether we license that content or not. If you receive a “Remote Access Error” when you use the bookmarklet on a URL, the most common reasons are:
- The content is freely available and hence not proxied for off-campus use. Don’t use the bookmarklet for this content. If you are unsure, check the library website Database List and E-Journals List. Or complete the University Library Help Request Form noting the title of the resource you need, and a staff member will let you know if IUPUI has access to the content.
- The content is not directly provided by IUPUI Libraries. It could be that we have the journal in question, but from a different vendor. For example, IUPUI Libraries do not license anything at the site apa.org. However, all of our American Psychological Association content is provided through the PsycINFO (EBSCO) database.
- (Least common) The content is licensed to IUPUI Libraries, but URL has recently changed or otherwise is not proxied correctly. Report this using the University Library Help Request Form noting what resaource you are trying to access.